MEDIA RELEASE Port Cares puts its annual event on the road with Drive Thru Soupfest on March 30
(March 3, 2021 - PORT COLBORNE) After a one year hiatus due to the pandemic, Port Cares is thrilled to bring back its much loved Soupfest but in a covid safe manner. On Tuesday, March 30th from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Port Cares’ Reach Out Centre will host its first ever take-out soup fundraiser with the 2021 Drive-Thru Soupfest. This drive-thru take out event will provide purchasers two different scrumptious home-made soups, biscuits and cookies – enough for 4 individual servings.
“For more than a decade, Soupfest is a popular local, community event. While we still can’t gather together, this is the next best opportunity to continue a Port Colborne tradition that helps families and individuals in need,” explains Christine Clark Lafleur, Executive Director, Port Cares. All proceeds from the Soupfest fund the Reach Out Centre including the food bank, meal program as well as crisis intervention services and all sorts of family supports
A $25 ticket provides soup, biscuits and cookies for four in take-out containers. Supporters are asked to purchase their tickets in advance and can pick up their take out bags from the convenience of their vehicles in a drive thru set-up at the Reach Out Centre located at the corner of Nickel and Mitchell Street, Port Colborne on March 30th the day of the event. The soups and accompanying biscuits and goodies will be prepared at the Reach Out Centre in its public health inspected commercial kitchen which provides 10,000 hot, nutritious meals to low income individuals and families annually will be preparing the food.
This year’s soup menu features the classic Italian wedding soup – a chicken broth based soup with mini-meatballs and pasta; Caldosa Cubana – a delicious hearty soup of both chicken and pork, potatoes, root vegetables and sofrito as well as our fully vegetarian minestrone.
Port Cares Reach Out Centre relies on fundraising and donations to operate. “We do not receive government funding to run the Reach Out Centre. We rely fully on charity.” More than 1,700 people are registered to receive assistance through the food bank which has seen a 26 per cent increase in the number of people who need help since the pandemic started.
Drive Thru Soupfest is being sponsored by CAA Niagara, Kate and Nicki Realty and Boggio’s Family of Pharmacies. Tickets can be purchased virtually by e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org noting Drive Thru Soupfest in the message line AND your email (so you can receive your ticket) or in person at Port Cares at the covid safe main entry 92 Charlotte Street, Port Colborne, Monday to Friday 830am to 430 pm.
ABOUT PORT CARES
· Port Cares’ mission is to help those in our community with social and economic needs improve their quality of life.
· Port Cares’ vision is to provide help, hope and opportunity for all to achieve their potential.
· Since 1986, Port Cares has offered a multitude of services for people, young and old, not only in Port Colborne, but also across Niagara including Lincoln, West Lincoln, Welland, Pelham and Fort Erie. They offer housing, employment training, a foodbank, Niagara Youth Justice services, EarlyON Child and Family Centres, a meal program, utility assistance, counselling and crisis services- as well as seasonal programs like Coats for Kids, Give a Gift and more. Their services are wide-ranging - the need is undeniable.
ABOUT PORT CARES REACH OUT CENTRE
· Port Cares Reach Out Centre Food bank (ROFC) assists more than 1,700 individuals. A third of the people reliant on the ROFC Food Bank are children.
· Since the onset of the pandemic a year ago, the centre has seen a 30 per cent increase in the number of people needing services
· Hot, nutritious community meals are served three times a week to families and individuals. More than 60 adults and children typically attend each meal. In winter months there will be nearly 100 clients attending at mealtime. Currently there are more than 600 low income local residents registered to receive the Meal Program.
Photos are available upon request.
Christine Clark Lafleur
Executive Director, Port Cares
9058343629 ext. 248
92 Charlotte Street, Port Colborne, ON L3K 3E1